1. Applicant Information
Please direct the following information to email@example.com for programming.
- Solo – Which palo song form?
- Cuadro – Please identify if you would like to use a specific singer, guitarist, palmas, cajon
- Duration of Piece – No longer than 10 minutes maximum
- Props used – Manton, bata, fan, castanets, other.
- Special staging requirements
- Lighting requirements.
- Video – approximately $120 for 2 camera angles and editing by professional videographer.
This information will serve to consider which musicians are available for this event and how they will get paid. Participants are responsible for musicians but can share the cost of a musician. This can only be determined once the program is set.
2. Expectations and Budget
Developing a full solo is important work that requires dedication and discipline. In this process, students often learn that it becomes very consuming and requires time, personal practice and several trials. Students should be practising at least 3 times a week, and taking private lessons to choreograph or review choreographic structure or review artistic presentation.
In order to have a successful performance, we believe Cuadro costs a minimum of $2,000 per project. These numbers are based on what our student participants say from previous years. People can invest slowly over many months or else they are cramming last minute, creating a lot of stress but the budget is quite clear. If you cannot commit this time or budget at this time, it is better not to perform.
1. COSTUME: You must have a nice costume that fits the mood of your performance. Budget can range from $150 at the very least to $500+.
2. PRIVATE LESSONS: The budget is a minimum of $525. Private lessons with Kasandra “La China” and musicians is mandatory for artistic programming.
- The minimum number of private lessons to budget is 5 at $60/hour + GST. This is IF the student already has existing choreography, experience performing solo and can execute. The more honest answer is anywhere from 10-40 hours.
- Include live guitar at $40/hour + GST. 2018 guitarists TBA.
- Include live singer at $30-$60 + GST/hour. We have an arsenal of local singers that are able to rehearse depending on their experience. Please budget for live cante practise. Guest singer for 2018 usually is billed at $60US/hour, TBA.
- Practice Runs: We must schedule practice runs at Kino Café and/or Chai Lounge to have a higher level of preparedness. Minimum 1 or 2 before November 25. There will be no cost for this and is enormously beneficial for preparedness.
CHOREOGRAPHY FROM SCRATCH: Many students study year round to create a choreography just for them and work on their own material. If you have zero choreography and want to work with an instructor this is called mentorship. Private lessons like this are budgeted at $60 + GST/hour and regular weekly lessons are scheduled. Choreography is a joint process at takes a minimum of 20 hours and can be up to 40 hours.
CHOREOGRAPHIC STRUCTURE: If you are a student that has studied, has own choreography or a choreography set by another artist, this still requires artistic review and work with the musicians. See 2. Minimum is 5 hours.
CUADRO WORKSHOP: 6 weeks leading up to the event, we will hold small groups to work with musicians. We have found that people that do 6-12 cuadro workshops are enormously successful in the performance. The budget is $336 for 6 week program but based on musician availability and musician roster. NOTE: In 2017, we did not have any students that wanted to take advantage of the cuadro workshop and all students opted for for private sessions with mentor and musicians. This workshop is dependant upon student needs.
The show can only have maximum two of the same palo. For November 25, please consider your palo because they will be allocated, first come first served as the cuadro deposit of $400 is made.
Past Palos: Alegrias, Caña, Cantiñas, Fandangos, Farruca, Garrotin, Guajira, Petenera, Seguiriyas, Solea, Solea por bulerias, Tangos, Tango de Malaga, Tientos
To commemorate the event, we have hired a videographer in the past that has mixed 2 video angles for your dance. As this is a serious achievement, it is best to budget $120 for custom video. Cost was $115.50 in 2017.
5. More Information
Thank you for your interest in the Cuadro Program and wishing you the best in your flamenco journey.
Kasandra “La China”