(Vancouver, BC) – TL Entertainment Production & Mozaico Flamenco Dance Theatre are proud to present “Three Sides of a Coin”, a rich & evocative dance spectacular, directed by flamenco dancer Kasandra “La China”, showcasing flamenco dancer Andrea Williams with guest artist and Irish Tap dance sensation, Joel Hanna, and one of Vancouver’s foremost Oriental Bellydancers, Ashley Kirkham. This matinee is a first at the Edgewater Casino’s Stadium Club theatre in Vancouver. The vibrant show celebrates passion, virtuosity and expression, through the rhythm of world percussion, Spanish castanets and Eastern zills and of course, rapid-fire footwork!
“Three Sides of a Coin” presents the multifaceted nature of a Woman. It takes the raw passion and drive of Flamenco Dance performed by Andrea Williams & Kasandra “La China”, and contrasts it with the soft, sensuous seductive nature of Oriental Bellydance by Ashley Kirkham. It also compares the yin and yang, female and male energy with the bravado and athleticism of Joel Hanna, power of Italian cajon player Davide Sampaolo and rhythm of darbouka player Tim Gerwing.
Each dance is carefully crafted and brilliantly conceived. The beauty of lyrical dance and power of percussion results in a dazzling, innovative presentation of an impressive array of cultural, musical and aesthetic influences. The audience is left spellbound with the magical imagery of fluttery fans, Chinese silk veils, Sevillan shawls, flamenco ruffles and fiery footwork.
Mozaico Flamenco Dance Theatre is a Vancouver dance company with a reputation for challenging cultural and artistic stereotypes in flamenco. The dynamic company has tested the boundaries of traditional flamenco by infusing classic forms with unexpected influences such as jazz, pop, Latin, Cuban & Chinese rhythms. “Three Sides of a Coin” pushes flamenco to its limits, blending world percussion with dance artistry of some of the best dancers in the world.
This powerful performance promises to transport audiences to the magical, the unexpected, the raw.
Here is a sneak peek behind the curtain at some of the pleasures that await:
- Guest Star Joel Hanna, Irish Tapper, faces off with Kasandra “La China”, Flamenco Dancer, and Davide Sampaolo, Cajon, in a percussive duel of rapid fire footwork of epic proportions.
- Haunting dance solo by Andrea Williams, with the beautifully embroidered fringed shawls called “Manton de Manila” with Chinese pattern.
- Traditional bellydance with sword by Ashley Kirkham accompanied by Tim Gerwing on darbouka.
- Flamenco fusion with bellydance with ghostly Chinese white flowing fan veils and silk scarves.
- Graceful classical Spanish dance with castanets juxtaposed with modern flamenco piano and a percussive conversation between the zills and castanets!
Kasandra Lea, 604-671-9182
Ashley Kirkham, 604-916-6598